Spaghetti & Meatballs (1937); F.F. Onion Rings; Ice Cream Log; Plapple

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri May 25 01:52:56 UTC 2001

In a message dated 05/24/2001 8:30:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

>    I'm back on the Clementine Paddleford NYHT column trail.  From the NEW
> YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 4 January 1937, pg. 20, col. 7:

   <snip>
>     To greet the New Year on the economical side of the budget are two new
> dinners in cans, 15 cents each, here from the Middle West.  One is a beef
> stew, the other a spaghetti with meat ball mixture.  Both tins contain one
> and one-half pounds, or a sufficient quantity to serve three guests, each a
> good-size helping.  Families of two find a whole meal in the contents of a
> can.

I note with puzzlement that Paddleford uses both "cans" and "tins".  I was
under the impression that "cans" is strictly US and "tins" is strictly
British.

         - Jim Landau