"Carded"--not heard before 1968 in NYC

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri May 25 02:44:38 UTC 2001

    Mark Odegard  writes (5/24/01) that "carded" arose in 1971 or
shortly afterward in connection with lowering the voting and then
drinking age to 18. This jibes with my never having heard the term
while I lived in NYC (until 1968).
     My parents owned a combination grocery store and small restaurant
with a bar
in mid-town Manhattan. At least occasionally young men would come to
the bar and asked to be served liquor, and if there was any doubt
about their being 21, the bartender would ask for proof of age. In
all the time that I heard my parents tell about those incidents and
in all the time I spent working or eating in the store, I never heard
the terms "carded" or "proofed." It was simply asking for proof of
age or some variant of this.

---Gerald Cohen