polka(dot) pronunciation?

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 28 04:55:49 UTC 2001

I grew up in the SF Bay Area (East Bay, Oakland, Piedmont and Alameda, with
connnections to Concord, Paradise, and that place up near Redding where a
sofa was a 'chesterfield'). The usual accent back then (1960s) was poke-uh,
for all inflections and meanings. You danced the poke-uh wearing poke-uh
dotted costumes. I don't remember polka-dotted polka-queens from that late
70s Cedar Rapids, IA TV show which was essentially a 'polka party',
accordians and all (yes, we moved to Iowa); rather, they wore fluffy chiffon
things, and their partners tended towards cowboy.

Yeah. Poke Street. (Polk street is one block west of and parallel to Van
Ness Avenue).