Possessive form of Y'ALL

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu May 31 03:37:03 UTC 2001

Laurence Horn said:
>At 10:17 PM -0400 5/30/01, Alice Faber wrote:
>>I couldn't find a clip of this at espn.com. Do you happen to remember who
>>the interviewer was? (The advantage of this sort of public utterance is
>>that biographical, and, by inference, dialect background, information is
>>potentially available.
>>
>Sorry, Alice, I didn't recognize him; he wasn't one of the
>announcers, and he wasn't obviously (or I'd guess even unobviously)
>Canadian, but I can't otherwise identify him.  I imagine "you guys's"
>is not unique with him, though.

I didn't watch the whole game, so I don't remember the entire announcing
team, but there was (I think) one NYer (I think...), one Philadelphian, and
one Canadian.

Of course, one thing I've noticed with hockey broadcasts is that sometimes
American hockey players "absorb" Canadian accents (general vowels, but not
lexically-specific pronunciations as in BEEN, AGAIN, AGAINST, although
sometimes in ORGANIZATION).
--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu