"Magee-isms" in Western Barbecue Cookbook (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 1 23:36:38 UTC 2001

WESTERN BARBECUE COOKBOOK
by Bill Magee
1949

   Check out the catnyp.nypl.org catalog entry.  The book doesn't list a publisher.
   This is a good-natured cookbook.  On the title page is: "For a best-seller, write either about horses, Dixie, sex, Abraham Lincoln--or food.--AMERICAN SAYING."  (This once prompted someone to write LINCOLN'S DOCTOR'S DOG.  It was not a best-seller.)
   No "Sloppy Joe" here....I'll show the Mexican section from about pages 117-127.

Pg. 80:
      _Magee-isms_
   The vocabulary of Bill Magee is spiced with picturesque California expressions.  For the sake of clarity, some of these are explained below:
Highgrade--To obtain gems or ore, by stealth, from another man's mine; hence, to purloin
Larruping--Extra peachy good; superb
Hell--Hell
Charley horse--A muscular contraction of athletes, extremely painful
Metate--Indian grinding bowl
Damn--Damn
Jerky--Dried venison or beef
Topa Chisera--"The devil gopher," or evil spirit, of Lower California; frequently mentioned in that fine book "Journey on the Flame"
Sonora--Synonym for Valhalla
Hasta la vista--Parting salutation "until we meet again"; the true Californian never said "Good-bye"
My bravo--Hot stuff, or hot sauce; in the case of Magee, the essence of fire
Acute shudders--Symptoms brought on in Magee by bad cooks or sissified men
Hipper dipper--Hex put on a human louse; or, in some cases, contrarily, the acme of sooper dooper
Hasta la mar--Complimentary superlative, as at dinner, meaning "You have filled me to the brim, even including the ocean!"
Quad by moonlight--An old Stanford catch phrase: Ultimate in amorous adventure

Pg. 18:  Frijoles Empanadas...
Pg. 96:  Tortillas Grandes...
Pg. 117:  Menudo...Pollo con Arroz...Chili Relleno...Pan Relleno...Colache...
Pg. 118:  Baked Green Peppers with Spanish Corn...Spanish Chicken...Abalone Spanish Stew...Calabacitos con Queso...
Pg. 119:  Omelette Spanish...Fried Eggs Spanish...Spanish Style Pork Chops... Quesadillas de Prisa...
Pg. 121:  Mole Poblano...Beef Tongue in Almond Sauce..Spanish Noodles...Spanish Soup...
Pg. 122:  Stuffed Peppers...Turkey Mole...Huatia...Baked Eggs (Mexican)...
Pg. 123:  Chicken Fricasee Spanish...Buenellos...Gato de Liebre...Tripas de Leche...Pollo Gisado...
Pg. 124:  Green Peppers and Rice...Rice Spanish...Chonzo...Tamales de Mais...
Pg. 125:  Carne Adodabo...Chili con Carne...Chili con Carne...Chili con Carne...
Pg. 126:  Tamale Pie...Massa...Chili Made from Dry Red Chilis...
Pg. 127:  Pork or Beef Tamales...Chicken Tamales...Pollo De La Valencia...
Pg. 141:  _Cures for Hangovers_...Hair of the Dog...Easy Ones...The Face on the Barroom Floor...The Killer Diller... Graveyard Stew...
Pg. 142:  Mexican Chocolate...Champorado...The Angels' Treat (tequila, vermouth, lime, sugar--ed.)
Pg. 159:  Pastel de Choclo...
Pg. 160:  From far away Texas comes a recipe for "Hedgehog Cake," a delicacy transplanted from Tennessee (where a lot of my folks came from) and sent to California for the book by my sister...
Pg. 163:  Turkey Mole (Mole de Guajolate)...Mexican Rice...
Pg. 164:  Tacos...
Pg. 173:  Red Chili Sauce...Green Chili Sauce...Chili Rellenos...Enchiladas Rancheros...
Pg. 177:  Turkey Diablo...
Pg. 191:  Texas Peach Cobbler...