Jelly Roll (1871); Shoo-fly Pie; Triple Thick Shakes (1958)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 2 08:09:49 UTC 2001

JELLY ROLL (continued)

   I never posted this.  This is a great book.  Again, Mariani and the OED have "jelly roll" from 1895.

MRS. PORTER'S
NEW SOUTHERN COOKERY BOOK
by Mrs. M. E. Porter
Philadelphia: John E. Potter & Company
1871

Pg. 252:
      _JELLY ROLL_
   To three well-beaten eggs add one cupful of powdered sugar and one cupful of flour; stir well, and add one teaspoonful of cream of tartar, half a teaspoonful of saleratus dissolved in three teaspoonsful of water; bake in two pie-pans; spread as evenly as possible; have ready a towl, and as soon as done, turn the cake on it, bottom side up, then spread evenly with jelly, roll up quickly and wrap closely in the towel.

Pg. 176:
      _ITALIAN BREAD_ (Cited, but no entry  in OED--ed.)
   ONE pound of butter, one pound of powdered lof sugar, one pound and two ounces of flour, eight eggs, half a pound of citron and lemon peel.  Mix as pound cake.  If the mixture begins to curdle, which it is very likely to do, from the wuantity of eggs, add a little flour.  When the eggs are all used and it is light, stir in the rest of the flour.  Bake in long, narrow tins papered and buttered.  First put in a layer of the mixture, and cover it with the peeling cut in thin slices.  Proceed in this way until three parts full, and bake in a _moderate_ oven.

SHOO-FLY PIE (continued)

MARY AT THE FARM
AND BOOK OF RECIPES:
COMPILED DURING HER VISIT AMONG THE
"PENNSYLVANIA GERMANS"
by Edith M. Thomas
Second Edition
Evangelical Press, Harrisburg, Pa.
1928

   No antedates, but some nice recipes.  The title of this dish should be recorded.

Pg. 364:
      _"PEBBLE DASH" OR SHOO-FLY PIE_
   Aunt Sarah made these to perfection and called them "Pebble Dash" pie.  They are not really pies, they resemble cakes, but having a crust we will class them with pies.  SHe lined three small sized tins with rich pie crust.  For the crumbs she placed in a bowl 3 cups flour, 1 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup of butter and lard, mixed and rubbed all together with the hands, not (Pg. 365--ed.) smooth, but in small rivels or crumbs.  For the liquid part she used 1 cup baking molasses, 1 cup hot water, 1 teaspoonful baking soda dissolved in a few drops of vinegar and stirred this into the molasses and water.  She divided the liquid among the three pans, putting one-third in each crust, over which she sprinkled the crumbs.  Bake one-half hour in  moderate oven.  These have the appearance of molasses cakes when baked.

TRIPLE THICK SHAKES; WHOPPERBURGER

   McDonald's has started offering "triple thick shakes."  The first one that I had was wonderful, but the second and third ones (in different stores) were just awful.
   Of course, Mariani doesn't document "triple thick."
   I was going through the NYPL menu collection for 1958-1959.  The menu collection gets much thinner after the 1940s--just when I'm looking for "penne" pasta and other items.

HAMBURGER JUNCTION menu, 5-14-1958
Joppa & Harford Rds.
Delicious
Triple Thick
Milk Shakes   .30

SHERRY's menu, February 1958
1425 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia
King of Them All
WHOPPERBURGER
Giant all BEEFBURGER on Bun with SALAD .85

FUDGE (continued)

   The Vassar College yearbooks in the 1890s were very high quality.  I found "Fudge" in three different places in 1893, but "fudge" wasn't there at all in 1892 or earlier.  There were several good opportunities for "fudge" to be mentioned--such as a menu parody--but "fudge" wasn't there.  "Peanut candy" was mentioned instead.
   Several cookbooks (1898-1908) that mention "fudge" were missed by the book OH, FUDGE (1990).  "Fudge" became popular in the midwest; I can't find a date on this cookbook from the NYPL:

FANCY COOKERY
MUSCATINE, IOWA
("Presbyterian Church, First, Muscatine, Iowa, 18--" is handwritten--ed.)
Pg. 10:
   BLOTCH...
Pg. 12:
   OATMEAL COOKIES...