verbs

Sat Nov 3 12:48:19 UTC 2001

Spoofs are cool, of course; they call attention to folk language
regards which are "public," and us linguists should pay more
attention to them, but it's still annoying to me that linguists are
not routinely consulted by journalists on matters of language. When
this issue was presented on the national news some weeks ago, Tom
Brokaw waxed inaccurately on grammar, for example, and in this cute
spoof, more that half of the sentences violate constraints (e.g., "I
not kidding") on such elliptical utterances (and no hard evidence is
presented that such ellipsis was absent in earlier news broadcasts).

One of these days we need to think about forming a "truth squad" with
rapid deployment capacity in the face of linguanonsense.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages