Meze (1913)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 5 08:57:33 UTC 2001

OFF TOPIC:  So much for my Yankee curse.  They actually lost in the ninth inning!...I have a separate Keytronic keyboard to this laptop that I don't use, and I put papers over the keys.  Maybe that's what caused some weird stuff...The last line of "DOG-IN-A-BISCUIT" should read: "Toast over coals turning slowly to bake through and brown evenly, _about 5 min._"

MEZE (1913)

THE ORIENTAL COOK BOOK
by Ardashes H. Keoleian
Sully & Kleinteich, NY
1913

Pg. 333:
   _Order of Service_
1.  Relishes      (_Mezeh_).
2.  Soup          (_Tchorba_).
3.  Fish          (_Baluck_).
4.  Grilled Meat on Skewers or Stuffed Meat Dishes
                  (_Shish Kebab_ or _Etli Dolma_).
5.  Roasts, Meat or Fowl, with Salad
                  (_Kezartma, Et_ or _Tavouk_, with _Salata_).
6.  Olive Oil Dishes   (_Zeytin-Yaghli_).
7.  Rice "Pilaf"  (_Pirindge Pilaf_).
8.  Desserts      (_Tatli_).
9.  Turkish Coffee (_Caffeh_).

SULTAN'S PLEASURE
AND OTHER TURKISH RECIPES
by Robin Howe and Pauline Espir
A. A. Wyn, Inc., NY
1953

Pg. 3:
HORS D'OEUVRES OR APPETIZERS
                  (Mezeler)
THE MEZE, a word thought to have been brought to the Eastern Mediterranean by the Genoese, is an appetizer, something equivalent to our hors d'oeuvres, but with a varied and well-seasoned difference.  It is eaten in leisure to the accompaniment of raki before a meal.  In a restaurant you expect--and receive--continual replenishments to the many rapidly emptying plates.
   There are certain staple mezes; fried boreks...

TURKISH DELIGHTS:
A COOK BOOK
Printed by Guzel Istanbul Matbaasi, Ankara, Turkey
First Edition 1958
Revised Edition 1963

Pg. 238:
Meze--Hors d'oeuvre

(The revised OED and M-W both have 1926 for "meze."  Is that the final answer?..."Meze" is now everywhere...What about "borek"?--ed.)