Dutch Apple Pie (1895); Egg Drop Soup (1914)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 6 15:34:20 UTC 2001

   I might as well post these before the cookbooks go into apartment oblivion.

DUTCH APPLE PIE/CAKE

JEWISH COOKERY BOOK
COMPILED FOR USE IN THE COOKERY CENTRES UNDER THE
SCHOOL BOARD OF LONDON
by Miss M. A. S. Tattersall
London: Wertheimer, Lea & Co.
1895

Pg. 85:
  2.--DUTCH APPLE PIE.
_Ingredients:_
  Short of flaky crust.
  2 lbs. apples.
  1/4 lb. sugar or to taste.
  1/4 lb. currants.
  Cloves.
  A little water.
(...)(I couldn't copy the book and didn't write the rest--ed.)

THE LADIES' AUXILIARY TO TEMPLE DE HIRSCH
FAMOUS COOK BOOK
compiled by Mrs. Sigimund Aronson, Mrs. Samuel Brown and committee
Settle, Washington
First Edition, 1908
Revised Edition, 1916
Revised Edition, 1925

(From Index--ed.)
CAKE...
   Apple, Dutch...270

(I don't know how this figures into the Pennsylvania Dutch "cake" and the regional cake/pie naming, but Stouffer's clearly didn't invent "Dutch Apple Pie" in the 1920s--ed.)

EGG DROP SOUP

THE "BEST BY TEST" COOK BOOK
compiled by Mrs. Alfred Loeb
for the benefit of
The Hebrew Infant Asylum
New York
1914

Pg. 101:
   _Egg Drop Soup_--Take as much soup stock as desired.  Stir some flour smooth with water, add one or two eggs and a little salt and drop from spoon in the boiling soup just before serving.