OUT WEST food (1894-1916)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 7 02:45:19 UTC 2001

   OUT WEST/LAND OF SUNSHINE had some food items.  I went through most of the magazine's run.  I still have to check the LANDMARKS CLUB COOK BOOK at Yale.
   OUT WEST's editors, Charles F. Lummis and George Wharton James, are western authors I've looked at briefly.

October 1894, LAND OF SUNSHINE, pages 96-97, "Spanish Cooking."
(Frijoles, tortillas, tamale, chicken tamale, chili verde, metata, stuffed chilis are described.  Photo of "MAKING TORTILLAS"--ed.)

November 1895, LAND OF SUNSHINE, pages 275-277, "Some Mexican Recipes."
(Sopa de arroz seca, chiles rellenos de picadillo, tortillas, frijoles, buneuelos, merienda, tamales, guiso, sweet tamales, Mexican stuffing for turkey, chile sauce, candied peaches--ed.)

February 1896, LAND OF SUNSHINE, pages 134-136, "Some Mexican Sweets."
(Almond paste, walnut paste, cajeta de camote y pina, cajeta de leche, cajeta de celaya, leche de pina--ed.)

June 1896, LAND OF SUNSHINE, pages 26-28, "More Mexican Recipes."
(Tortillas, enchiladas, guajalote en mole (turkey in red papper sauce), calabacitas guisadas (stewed squash), chile verde con queso (green peppers with cheese), ante de naranja (orange pudding), champurrado (chocolate gruel)--ed.)

August 1911, OUT WEST, pg. 15, col. 2 (recipe--ed.)--Cotton Tail Mulligan, Camping Style.

November 1911, OUT WEST, pg. 321, col. 1:
      _Origin of "Sundae"_
   It is stated that the name "Sundae" originated in New Orleans.  A soda water dispenser found himself one bright and warm Sunday afternoon entirely out of carbonated water, with no chance to renew his supply.  There was a constatn demand for his services, and after repeatedly answering the embarrassing question why he was unable to produce the drinks, in desperation he hurriedly mixed ice cream and fruit syrups into (Col. 2--ed.) a frozen conction which greatly delighted his customers.  During the following week days he had so many calls for "that Sunday recipe" that the idea flashed over him that it would be a good idea to put it regularly on his bill of fare.
   A well meaning but uneducated clerk who prepared the menu, did the trick of transforming "Sunday" into "Sundae" and the palate tickler has remained "Sundae" ever since.
(Actually, he was trying to spell "dachshund"--ed.)

September 1912, OUT WEST, pages 165-166, "Maguey--The Wonder Plant of Mexico."
("Tequila" is here--ed.)

(FWIW: No "jazz" in OUT WEST, 1894-1916, in the brief scan that I did--ed.)