"fair to middling"--M. Quinion's article

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Nov 9 02:21:52 UTC 2001

    This is very helpful.  Michael Quinion antedates the earliest
attestation thus far noticed (1860s) by some thirty years. And he
specifies the nuanced grades (e.g., "middling fair") that he found in
19th-century American trade journals; I had previously received word
of only four basic grades--good, middling, fair, poor.

     The only point that comes to mind is that it would be good to
have a few exact references of the trade journals using these
specific grades.

---Gerald Cohen