whenever -- check Michael Montgomery's

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 10 08:53:36 UTC 2001

At 2:05 PM -0500 11/10/01, Beth Simon wrote:
>See
>Montgomery, M. B. and J. M. Kirck 2001. My Mother, Whenever She
>Passed Away, She Had Pneumonia: The History and Functions of
>_whenever_ in _Journal of English Linguistics 29.3: 234-249.
>
>beth simon

>I'm investigating the (presumably Southern) use of temporally
>specific/non-habitual "whenever" in Missouri.  For example:  "Whenever I
>was working on this last night (referring to one specific occasion) I had
>some problems," "I was in the shower whenever you came over last night,"
>and, more curious, perhaps, "There was a time whenever I didn't know what I
>wanted to do with my life."  I have canvassed the ADS-L archive and the
>American Speech indexes and haven't found any reference to this
>feature.  Any input (knowledge of this feature, recommendations for
>investigating it, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Jennifer Beckman

And if you really want to see the ads-l discussion, check the
archives for Oct 6-7, 1999.  There's also a query from Michael
Montgomery last January requesting (esp.) non-Southern examples of
this use of "whenever" from last January in connection with his work
on the the paper Beth mentions above.

larry