House of Murphy's Caesar Salad; Original Mexican restaurant

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 11 00:30:54 UTC 2001

HOUSE OF MURPHY'S CAESAR SALAD

   The L.A. Public Library's online menus were no help at all for Caesar Salad.  My earliest such salad is the "Romaine Salad" made in 1933 by actor Oliver Hardy, then the huge gap until the GOURMET discussion in 1946.
   I checked the New-York Historical Society's menu collection for 1946.  This House of Murphy (a popular L.A. restaurant at the time; I copied an article on the place in AMERICAN RESTAURANT) menu has a huge "V" on it and clearly dates from 1942-1945, not 1946. This looks like Caesar to me:

      _Salads_
_Salad de Murphay_ A HOUSE OF MURPHY CREATION...1.25
   Crisp hearts of Romaine, Iceberg Lettuce, Toasted Croutons, Coddled Eggs and Romanella Cheese, Imported Olive Oil and Wine Vinegar.

ORIGINAL MEXICAN RESTAURANT

   Maybe California did give us the "taco," but I haven't seen it in LAPL online menus through 1950.  Check out the Belmont Cafe (1897), the Spanish Kitchen (1913), Brae Mar Inn (192?), El California Cafe (1928), Mayan Spanish Inn (1928), and Buckhart's (1935).  All have "tamales" instead.
   The San Antonio Public Library has no menu collections.  The New-York Historical Society's menu collection has two 1940s menus for the Original Mexican Rstaurant, O. M. Farnsworth, proprietor, 115-117-119 Losoya Street, San Antonio, Texas.
   From a dinner for the National Restaurant Association, State Restaurant Association of Texas, 30 March 1940:

Apio; Aceitunas; Chalupa; Chile con Queso; Chile con Carne; Frijoles; Tamales, Sopa de Arroz; Enchilada; Chiles Relleno; Tortillas de Maiz; Pina; Dulce.

   An undated Original Mexican Restaurant menu in with the 1940 material has a regular supper and two special supper menus, and then these:

      _SHORT ORDERS_
Chile con Carne...15
Frijoles...10
Frijoles con Tortillas...15