nucular and Latino

hstahlke at ATT.NET hstahlke at ATT.NET
Wed Nov 14 13:21:51 UTC 2001

One possibility is that the cluster [klj], as in
['nuklj at r] is rare in English unstressed syllables
whereas there are plenty of models for [kj at l@r], as in
particular, secular, etc.  So we tend to go on the
analogy of the familiar.  So goes language change.
Maybe one day spelling will catch up.

Herb Stahlke
Ball State University