nucular and Latino

Wed Nov 14 14:16:05 UTC 2001

Paul,

No, you are not opening yourself to accusations of prejudice. You are
clearly prejudiced against this variety, and you admit it. Those of
us who have a professional interest in language attitudes are not
horrified (for we see much worse prejudice than yours almost daily).
But your relfections on th9in sprejudice ar most welcome, for they
reveal your underlying (nonlinguists') folk theories oif langauge. (I
use "folk" here, by the way, in no belittling sense whatsoever. I
mean by "folk linguistics" simply the beliefs held by nonlinguists
about language. I am, for example, a folk nuclear scientist.)

For linguists, for example, when you say that "frizar" means to frizz
or to curl, you reveal an interesting folk theory of language -
namely one which suggests that words have "real" (rather than
socially constructed) meanings. But "frizar" has no "semantic
privilege." It, in fact, gets to mean what a community of speakers
decides. That is not to say that that decision might not be at odds
with other communities of speakers (one you belong to in this case),
but that's what keeps us sociolinguists in business, ain't it?

In my earlier message, by the way, I did not mean to deny the fact
that there are some speakers of mixed or blended varieties who are,
in fact, such spekaers because they do not yet control the language
they are after. I am (or at least was) a speaker of what one might
call Portonhol, but not because I grew up in southern Rio Grande do
Sul, only because I was dropped into Portuguese with a
Spanish-speaking background and had to learn and use the language
very quickly. Technically, I would prefer not to use Portunhol for
waht I spoke (although I am sure it was very similar to what is
spoken by lots of other Spanish speakers attempting to learn
Portuguese). I was just a speaker of Spanish-Portuguese interlanguage
and did ot belong to a Portunhol-speaking speech community.

Dennis

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages