Spades

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Nov 14 20:54:05 UTC 2001

The source of the sensitivity is the expression "black as the ace of spades," which I've
heard as a reference to very dark African American skin color.  It can also be used, e.g.,

for a black car or a totally dark night.  The ace has a higher value than a club, and I
suppose this explains the choice.  Archie Bunker may have contributed to the suppression
of the expression in general use, but it is certainly familiar to people who've entered
the 8th decade of life.

DMLance