Bringing pineapples to Milagro, Ecuador

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 18 15:20:14 UTC 2001

At 9:20 PM -0500 11/18/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    Greetings from Quito.  I'll be in the Galapagos for about five
>days and probably off the internet.
>
>BRINGING PINEAPPLES TO MILAGRO--Like carrying coals to Newcastle.
>There are a lot of pineapples in Milagro.
>
>At Papaya-Net here:
>MACCIATO--espresso long with milk foam
>MACCIATONE--espresso with milk and with foam

Can those really be "macciato(ne)" with a long palatal affricate
"ch"?  In all the espresso places I've been to, it's always
"macchiato" with a long occlusive velar "k".  (I order it quite
frequently.)  The "macc(h)iatone" so described ends up sounding sort
of like cappuccino, since I think of macchiato as essentially
cappuccino without the (steamed) milk.  Maybe if the milk isn't
steamed it's more like a latte/cappuccino cross?  Any coffeeholics
out there who can help?

larry