Hermione

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 19 21:01:41 UTC 2001

In the movie "Harry Potter and the Sorceror's [sic] Stone", the child actors
speak with an accent (accents?) that is neither stage-British nor
stage-Cockney nor stage-Scottish, but which I cannot further identify.

My question involves Hermione.  In Book 4 of the series ("Goblet of Fire")
she specifies that her name is pronounced with four separate syllables.
However in the move she pronounces her name as something which I heard as
"her-MEYE-nee".

Can any of the phoneticians on the list clarify this?

              - Jim Landau