toboggan

Ellen Johnson ejohnson at BERRY.EDU
Wed Nov 21 21:22:23 UTC 2001

the prototypical boggin hereabouts is knit, usually a synthetic yarn
rather than wool, and without special adornments on the top.  has to
cover the ears. comes in all colors, often depending on what football
team one roots for.

Ellen
who lives in Georgia, about as far south as you can get, considering
that the lower half of Florida doesn't really count.  but then I haven't
investigated it south of the transition zone including metro Atlanta, so
it could be South Midland nevertheless.

-----Original Message-----
From: Beverly Flanigan [mailto:flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 3:39 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: toboggan

The first is the "peculiar" one, South Midland and further South (just
how
far I'm not sure, and is it used in SW Illinois?).  But it doesn't have
be worn while sledding (btw, my Minnesota def. of 'toboggan' refers to a
long flat wooden sled, curved up front, but that may not be required of
all).  Also, I've asked students if there are special requirements for
the
hat def., and they disagree:  Some insist on a tassel, some on a tail,
some
on neither; but it seems to be woolen or otherwise warm and snug.  All
you
all agree?

At 02:48 PM 11/21/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Help me out, guys (and gals for those who still see 'guys' as
gendered).  I'm
>very lost on this 'toboggan' business.  Are there two 'toboggan'
meanings?
>If so, are they:
>
>a.) a sock-cap type of hat to keep you warm while you use...
>b.) a sled.
>
>This is what I thought they were.  I was laughed at by everyone.
Apparently,