[Bapopik at aol.com: Fwd: O.K. sign in Ecuador]

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Sat Nov 24 19:20:02 UTC 2001

--------------------
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 13:20:52 EST
From: Bapopik at aol.com
Subject:O.K. sign in Ecuador
To: <ADS-L at listserv.uga.edu>

   Greetings from Otavalo, Ecuador, where I am once again on a Spanish keyboard.

O.K. SIGN

   On a HELADOS is a picture of an orange kid with green, marijuana-like hair.  He has ice cream in one hand and gives the O.K. sign with the other hand.
   I thought this sign was taboo in South America, but perhaps not.  The company is HELADOS, LOS COQUEIROS, HELADERIA CONFRUNAT CIA, LTDA, Quito-Ecuador.
   I had a delicious TAXCO flavor, but other flavors are COCO-MORA, NARANJILLA, CHOCOLATE, GUANABANA, VAINILLA, FRUTILLA, AGUACATE, ALFALFA, RON PASAS.

ROPE-A-DOPE

   An elderly woman held a piece of string across the road.  The driver honked, she dropped the string, and we passed by.  However, if you stop, not only will she ask you for money, but men may come out of nowhere and steal your car.
  I asked the guide and the driver if there was a name for this trick.  Rope-a-dope, perhaps.  They could not think of a name for it.
  Sleeping Policemen or Sleeping Cops are also found on the roads.

MORE MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

   Places sell a picture-display of the musical instruments, with the name tags attached.  Some of the names I saw were Flauta de Pan, Sampona, Antara, Tarka, Quena, Bocina, Bomba, Tamboril, Pallas, Pinguillo, Pifano, Quenacho, Table Sikus, Sanka, Pingullo, Charango, and Rondador.

(Attached is a menu request for the Hotel Del Coranado, near San Diego.  I did not see its menus in the L.A. collection, or in the New York collections.  The place is like the Delmonico of the West, and I must see the menus.  As far as I know, its menus have not been published.  Caesar salad should be here quite early.)