Query re "tump"

Mon Nov 26 13:00:04 UTC 2001

Dang Rudy, I done forgot "tump," but my folk etymology differs from
yours. I believe that when you are "tumping" some stuff out of a
container that you must be prodding the movement along with a tap on
the bottom (of the container, that is). For me, therefore, it is a
combination of "thump" and "dump," as best as I can retieve boyhood
folk etymologies.

Sime I am South Midland (through and through), the label "Chiefly
Southern" is right or wrong - depending on what "Southern" includes.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages