Ajiaco (1956); Apple Sauce Cake (1912)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 27 08:34:06 UTC 2001

AJIACO (continued)

   OED does _not_ have it.  However, it should.  This has over 2,200 Google hits.  It appears to be a national dish of Columbia, not Ecuador.  From the cookbooks I saw today in Miami:

TRADE WINDS COOKERY:
TROPICAL RECIPES FOR ALL AMERICA
by Norma A. Davis
Dietz Press, Inc., Richmond, Va.
1956

Pg. 215 (Index):
SOUP
   Ajaico (sic), 186
(...)
SWEET POTATOES, YAMS, 192
   Ajaico, 186

   _APPLESAUCE CAKE_
NINETEENTH-CENTURY cookbooks brim with fruitcakes.  There's the occasional apple cake, too, usually made with dried apples but sometimes with chopped fresh apples.  Yet I find no applesauce cakes.  In fact, I've benn unable to trace them any further back than 1915.
--Jean Anderson, THE AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK (1997), pg. 436.

THE FLORIDA TROPICAL COOK BOOK
Edited by The Aid Society
The First Presbyterian Church
Miami, Florida
1912

Pg. 145:
      _APPLE SAUCE CAKE_
   One cup sugar, one-half cup butter, one cup apple sauce, two cups chopped, floured raisins, two cups flour, one teaspoonful salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, soda.  Cream the sugar and butter, add the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, then add the raisins.  Add the soda to the apple sauce and stir this in, then stir in the flour, a little over two cups of needed.  _Miss Agnes Faris._

(This was the earliest Florida cookbook in the Miami library.  "Key Lime Pie" is not here...I think the 1951 FORT MYERS cookbook had "grasshopper pie," but I neglected to copy it in my rush--ed.)