Query: "thoo"

thomas e murray tem at JUNO.COM
Tue Nov 27 13:45:59 UTC 2001

A student has asked if I've ever heard the word "thoo" (I'm guessing at
the spelling, but the first sound is a voiceless interdental fricative
and the second a high, back, tense vowel) to mean something like 'of
inferior quality' or 'a bit below par.'  The student heard it used in the
following sentences:

He's had one too many; he's just a little thoo.

_Great Expectations_ is thoo compared to _Bleakhouse_.

Both sentences were produced by college-aged African American males in
the context of a pseudo-intellectual literary discussion.

Has anyone heard this before, or provide any further information on the
word?

Tom Murray
Kansas State University