"tump"

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Tue Nov 27 19:01:59 UTC 2001

Ah... my absolute favorite word is finally getting the recognition it
deserves.

"tump": to knock over a pretty big container and have stuff spill out

I can "tump" over a tub of toys (on purpose or accident), or a tub of milk,
but I can NEVER "tump" over a glass of milk, that would have to be
"spilled/t".

This is used ALL OVER So.IL, it always elicits a laugh too, like, oh... that
odd word we use... I've always heard that it's "tip" + "dump"

I was actually under the impression that we (So.IL) were the only people who
knew this word.  My family in Alabama (Huntsville) didn't know it; friends
from Tenn (Knoxville area) didn't know it; and my brother-in-law from S.E. MO
didn't know it.

I feel like I've just joined a support group of "tump" users...

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale