Brownstone Front Cake (1886)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 29 22:36:18 UTC 2001

   Brownstone Front Cake is not in DARE.
   However, Jean Anderson's THE AMERICAN CENTURY COOKBOOK (1997) discusses it for three pages.
   From Pg. 460, col. 1:

      BROWNSTONE FRONT CAKE
   THERE'S PLENTY of controversy about this cake.  When and where it originated.  What goes into the batter.  Whether or not it's frosted.
   Much to my surprise, I could find no references to Brownstone Front Cake before 1964, the year the recipe appeared in _The American Heritage Cookbook and Illustrated History of American Eating and Drinking_--alas, without a shred of documentation.
   Tehn I called food historian Meryle Evans, who's spent much of her adult life digging into the origins of recipes.
(...)(Col. 2--ed.)
   A week or so after this discussion, Meryle called to say she'd located three earlier versions of Brownstone Front Cake, two in community cookbooks dated 1910 (with caramel icing) and 1903 (with a vanilla cream).  The third--and earliest--appeared in the _Atlanta Exposition Cook Book_ of 1895.  That recipe, submitted by Mrs. Samuel Martin Inman of Atlanta, called for seven squares of Baker's chocolate (Pg. 461--ed.) and was baked in jelly-roll pans.