Taco at Rio Frio; Coco Loco; Ricotta (1859)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 29 23:44:22 UTC 2001

TACO AT RIO FRIO

   From FRANCIS TOOR'S NEW GUIDE TO MEXICO (1944, 1946), pg. 183 (MEXICO CITY TO PUEBLA):

   _Rio Frio_ is just beyond the highest point along the way.  Centuries ago it was noted for its bandits--and now for its excellent _tacos_ or Mexican sandwiches.

(Manuel Payno's LOS BANDIDOS DE RIO FRIO (1888) doesn't have "taco," at least not in my quick read-through.  Now, what Rio Frio material (in English or Spanish) can be found between 1888-1944?--ed.)

COCO LOCO & PIE-EYE

JOHN WILHELM'S GUIDE TO ALL MEXICO
McGraw-Hill Book Co., Inc., NY
1959

Pg. 51 (Acapulco):
   You can have a non-alcoholic coconut-milk drink in the original shell, or have it with a jigger of gin if you prefer (called a _coco loco_)...

Pg. 52:
   Here you can enjoy a _coco loco_ or a _pie-eye_ (a hollow pineapple filled with rum and ice).

Pg. 198 (Berta's Bar, Taxco):
   She makes the best _tequila limonada_ in the world and also serves soft drinks.

TORTILLA ILLUSTRATION (1844)

MEXICO AS IT WAS AND AS IT IS
By Brantz Mayer
J. Winchester, New World Press, NY
1844

   Page 17 has a nice, early illustration titled "MAKING TORTILLIAS."  I read these three books at NYU, where George Thompson wasn't in his office.
   I was looking for "chile con carne," and page 17 has:

   Into this he causes his frijoles, or _chile_ and meat, to be thrown, and making a spoon of his _tortillia_, gradually gets possession of his food, and terminates his repast by eating the spoon itself!

BREAKFAST, DINNER, AND TEA:
VIEWED
CLASSICALLY, POETICALLY AND PRACTICALLY.
CONTAINING NUMEROUS CURIOUS DISHES AND FEASTS OF ALL TIMES AND ALL COUNTRIES.
BESIDES THREE HUNDRED MODERN RECEIPTS.
NEW YORK:
D. APPLETON AND COMPANY
1869
(copyright 1859)(?--ed.)

Pg. 242 (ARTICLES OF FOOD IN ITALY):
   They have delicate preparations of milk resembling our curds, but much nicer. called _ricotta_ and _giuncata_. (...) --MISS SEDGWICK.

(OED and M-W both have 1877 for "ricotta"...This is an interesting collection of food writings.  "Sir Loin" is here--ed.)