for to

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Fri Nov 30 20:41:24 UTC 2001

From:    Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU>
: David Bowie wrote:

: >For a time, i was forbidden to offer grammaticality judgments
: >in one of my undergrad syntax classes. (Something about
: >accepting "for to" as a preposition was the straw that
: >finally broke the camel's back, IIRC.)

: Offer this use of the infinitive marker "for to," heard from
: George W. last August and gleefully written down (because I
: like it):  "[the government] trusts citizens ... for to meet
: their health care needs."  Good South Midland usage, if a bit
: archaic.

Archaic?!? Me?! But...but... :-)

David Bowie                                   Department of Linguistics
Assistant Professor                            Brigham Young University
db.list at pmpkn.net                                   http://pmpkn.net/lx
   The opinions stated here are not necessarily those of my employer