DICTIONARIES course

Mon Oct 1 14:57:50 UTC 2001

I have scheduled myself to teach a new course, DICTIONARIES AND THE LEXICON,
in Spring 2002 at Duke. The course is open to (1). undergraduates who have
had at least one course in linguistics and (2). graduate students in English
or Linguistics; the
English grad students must be willing to do some extra reading if they have
not already had a linguistics course.

I'm wondering what experiences others have had with such a course. Will
people who have given such a course please send me synopses, syllabuses,
thoughts on what has worked and what has not worked, etc. (For example, has
anyone put in a brief unit on the persistence of folk etymologies? That could
be a lot of fun.)

I'm already in touch with the folks at University of Georgia where such a
course was given last year; Bill Kretzschmar tells me that he himself is at
work on a syllabus for the such a course for Spring 2002, too.