Dock Walloper: The Story of "Big Dick" Butler (1933)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 2 23:16:20 UTC 2001

DOCK WALLOPER:
THE STORY OF "BIG DICK" BUTLER
by Richard J. Butler and Joseph Driscoll
G. P. Putnam's Sons, NY
1933

   "Big Dick" was your old-fashioned, NYC "on the waterfront" guy.  There are some nice old drinking songs in this book, such as "My father was a grand old man/ His last name was Murphy and his first name was Dan..." and "When the clock strikes two in the Tenderloin..."

Pg. 2:

   CLEWS TO THE BUTLER VERNACULAR
IN THE KICK--in the pocket or purse
SO I RECOGNIZED THE PLACE--allowed a resort to operate, protected it
CHAVVIES--children, brothers
THE OLD MAN DIDN'T SLUG ME--father was kind
I WAS TIED UP NICELY--dressed neatly
HANG ME UP FOR IT--charge the drinks
DORNICK--half a brick, Irish confetti
WEALTHY WATER--champagne
JOHNNY-ON-THE-RATHOLE--ever alert
TENEMENT HOUSE PIANO--accordian
LITTLE BUNDLES--small people
A BIRD, A LULU--great
HURDY-GURDYS--ballot boxes
CON A SUCKER--deceive a dull-wit
KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN--be careful
DO THE BROADWAY ACT--spend money without restraint