"my your recommendation"

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 3 03:15:17 UTC 2001

So I tried out the "my your" on a teacher friend of mine, not within my
social or age group but she grew up in the same area, and it was understood
perfectly well. I'm not proposing that this is an actual dialect feature,
just that perhaps some dialects (those with double modals, or double
superlatives, as this one has) don't have a problem with double possessives.

The statement/context was:

She was bragging on the dinner she cooked and the salsa used.  I asked her
(on purpose to check it out) if it was "my your salsa".  Aparently, it was
not.  It was "my my salsa".

Take it for what you will.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
Southern Illinois University - Carbondale