Pronunciation of 'Terrorism'.

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Oct 3 19:58:52 UTC 2001

I used to use the tongue-twister "He married a merry Mary" to find out
who says what and with how many variants, but now I feel like adding
something like "He married a furry fairy" to disambiguate matters
further, i.e., if I am on the right track. Just joking.

As for the more serious question "Where is it that you suppose that I am
from?" I have asked this (in different words, of course) of many people
who asked for it and I have been intrigued by the mindsets, prejudices,
logic, schizophrenia, etc. of the askers.

Have there been any studies (like published/unpublished M.A. theses) of
this phenomenon, I wonder. For example, why would a German girl think
that you are from Germany? Would she be thinking phonetically? Or is it
sociology, anthropology, ethnology, or mere analogy?

Sorry if I sound personal! Just thinking aloud. No response called for.

TOM PAIKEDAY