Pronunciation of 'Terrorism'.

Mark Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Thu Oct 4 16:30:18 UTC 2001

I wrote:
> Hmmmm. It takes me four syllables, though some people probably hear them as
> three:
>
>      'tEr R Iz @m   (R = syllabic r)

"ANNE V. GILBERT" <avgilbert at PRODIGY.NET> writes:

Maybe the variation is regional.  I live in Seattle and tend to pronounce
it
in a way that kind of is between one and two r's.
<<<<<

I think we're talking about pretty much the same thing: "between one and
two r's" and "[spoken as] four syllables, [possibly heard as] three".

-- Mark

                  Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist
 Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company : speech recognition
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com