"Richest man in the cemetery"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 4 19:08:27 UTC 2001

RICHEST MAN IN THE CEMETERY

   I did a quick check of "richest man in the cemetery," and came up with this from Colonel Harland Sanders (1890-1980):

   "There's no reason to be the richest man in the cemetery.  You can't do any business from there."

   None of the Google hits has a date for this.  I don't know what Fred Shapiro has.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 16 August 1946, pg. 12, col. 2:

_Col. Bradley, 86,_
_Derby Winner_
_4 Times, Dies_
(Colonel E. R. Bradley of Idle Horse Farm, Lexington, KY--ed.)
(...)(Col. 3--ed.)
   _Excuse fo Largess_
   He had a phrase of his own that went with giving away money.  It was: "I don't want to be the richest man in the cemetery."

WINDY CITY (continued)

   Watch newspapers trash your work!  It's fun!
   I wrote to writer Gerry Volgenau (volgenau at freepress.com), the Detroit Free Press (letters at freepress.com), and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (letters at post-gazette.com) about the 9-30-01 "Windy City" story.
   No one responded.
   This is the third time that I wrote to the Post-Gazette in recent years.  It also had "hot dog" and "I'm from Missouri-show me" wrong.  No correction was made and no response was given.
   The letters were very informative and respectful, but I guess they weren't good enough.
   Again, I invite anyone else to give it a try.
   Hey, it could be your work next time.