Lucky Strike green, etc.

Fri Oct 5 16:13:20 UTC 2001

In a message dated 10/5/2001 8:51:01 AM, abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<< My parents, both of whom lived through WWII as adults (one in the Army
"over

there," the other here), told me about this.  They said that the idea was

that the green (pre-1942) of the Lucky Strike package was changed to white

because the green was needed for Army uniforms, which then were "olive

drab."  I doubt that this was really a matter of the Army needing the dye,

but it was a nice bit of marketing anyway.  Lucky Strike stayed white after

the war and into recent years, at least -- I don't know if they are still on

the market. >>

My father told me about this; his theory was that the new package, which was
red&white, not just white, was more martial than green--like
red-white-and-blue without the blue.