Changes to ADS-L protocols

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 5 20:36:13 UTC 2001

On Friday, October 5, 2001, at 03:46  PM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Terry and I have agreed to make some changes to the way messages may be
> posted to the ADS-L list. We have changed three notable settings:
>
> 1. No non-text attachments may be sent to the list. Any message that
> contains such an attachment will be rejected by the list server and
> bounced back to the sender. Text attachments will not be affected.

Thank you.

> 2. All messages have a size limit of 500 lines (including all headers).
> This is considerably more than we expect any message to be.

Thank you.

> 3. Any HTML attachments will be stripped from messages. This will not
> affect the use of HTML tags in the body of text messages, it just
> removes the duplicate HTML version of messages that are sometimes sent
> to accompany plain-text messages. You are encouraged not to send HTML
> e-mail in any case.

Thank you.

> If there are any questions about these setttings, or if they prove to be
> burdensome either for a particular purpose (e.g. someone wants to send
> a sound file to the list, or wants to post a very long message) or in
> general (e.g. someone wants to do this all the time), please let me or
> Terry know and we will discuss it.

If someone wants to send a sound file to the list, they shouldn't. Real
simple. The file can be put on the web somewhere (even at the ADS site),
and a *pointer* to the location can be sent to the list.
--
Alice Faber
Haskins Laboratories                                    Tel: (203) 865-6163
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                              faber at haskins.yale.edu