"Don't mess with Texas" (1985)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 8 05:00:24 UTC 2001

   A George Bush impression opened the last Saturday Night Live.  "I've got something to say to you, Osama bin Laden," said "George Bush."
   "Don't mess with Texas!"

   A check of the online patent/trademark information shows that this was used by the Texas Department of Transportation, 11-30-1985, for a highway beautification program.  In 1986, trademarks were issued for T-shirts and bumper stickers.
   I'm at home, and haven't checked the news databases for an earlier use.

(O.T.: SNL did a takeoff on "Law & Order: Parking Violations."  The actors mentioned the "12 inches from the curb rule"--a rule that hasn't existed for many years...The second skit stated that Warren G. Harding was the U.S. president in 1918.)