Black Ops; Harper's Weekly full text

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 8 07:41:41 UTC 2001

BLACK OPS

   I've been hearing a lot about "black ops" and "sleeper cells."  We talked about the latter.  The former means "black operations."
   It seems a bit clumsy, like military trying to be hip-hop.  But it should be recorded.

HARPER'S WEEKLY FULL TEXT

   Fred Shapiro recently told me that Harper's Weekly is available in full text searches.  I'd gone through the microfilm reels, and I'd checked the HW index.
   Nevertheless, I found some surprises.

STEVE BRODIE
   David Shulman is researching a biography of Brooklyn Bridge jumper Steve Brodie ("do a brodie").  Every single item on Brodie has been from his 1886 jump until his death in 1901.  Until now.
1871-04-15, pg. 335:  The hand belonged to a ragged little urchin only nine years old, who darted off with a five-dollar bill in his hand.  Having been arrested, the child told his story.  "My name's Steve Brodie, an' my mudder lives up in Madison Street.  I tuk five dollars out uv a man's pocket; but I only done it three times afore, mister."

DOLLARS TO DOUGHNUTS
   The RHHDAS, under "doughnut," has 1893.
1891-09-12
1891-11-14

IN THE SWIM
   OED has 1869.
1867-09-21

ICED TEA
   Newspapers believe it started at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.  You try to correct them.
1879-06-21

ICED COFFEE
1879-05-10

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT
1864-12-24, pg. 826:  It is a common saying, "Tell me what you eat, and how you eat, and I will tell you what you are."