"Suffering doughnuts!"

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Mon Oct 8 16:05:48 UTC 2001

Definitely Sylvester.  From
http://looneytunes.warnerbros.com/web/stars_of_the_show/sylvester/home.jsp

'"Sufferin' succotash!" Sylvester can't help but follow his instincts
and pursue that most elusive (and painful!) of meals Tweety.'

"Peter A. McGraw" wrote:

> Just in the interest of historical accuracy--I'd almost bet money it was
> Daffy Duck rather than Sylvester.
>
> Peter Mc.
>
> --On Saturday, October 6, 2001 6:50 PM -0400 Bob Haas
> <highbob at MINDSPRING.COM> wrote:
>
> > It's the favorite epithet of Sylvester the cat, although I myself have met
> > no other felines who enjoy the dish.
> >
> > On 10/6/01 5:44 PM, Gerald Cohen wrote:
> >
> >>    Btw, there's some cartoon character (Roadrunner? Yosemite Sam?)
> >> who frequently says "Suffering succotash!" We deal of course with
> >> alliteration, but otherwise, is there any justification for succotash
> >> appearing in this exclamation? And is the exclamation used anywhere
> >> else besides the cartoon?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bob Haas
> > Department of English
> > High Point University
> >
> >     "I realise that patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or
> > bitterness towards anyone."  Edith Cavell (1865-1915)

>                                Peter A. McGraw
>                    Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
>                             pmcgraw at linfield.edu

Andrew Danielson                 (·   Admin for Profs. Fedder, Gabriel
 Carnegie Mellon University                         Krogh, & Rajkumar
  Electrical & Computer                        +1 412 268-2188 Voice
   Engineering Department                       +1 412 268-3890 Fax
    5000 Forbes Ave.                 http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dmunk
     Pittsburgh, PA  15213                 drew.danielson at cmu.edu
       Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppres-
        sions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits
         at the dawn of day.
          -- Thomas Jefferson

            We like all kinds of music/But I like
             American music best