Snail Mail (1952); G.I. Trots; Pasta Fazool

Ittaob at AOL.COM Ittaob at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 9 15:05:47 UTC 2001

In a message dated 10/9/01 12:59:32 AM, Bapopik at aol.com writes:

<< PASTA FAZOOL

   Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK has no date.  I recall
seeing it in the 1940s.

   From the NYHT, 21 May 1952, pg. 16, col. 6:

_Pasta Fazool Makes Its Debut_

_At a Colony Restaurant Lunch_

"Fazool", of course, is not standard Italian. It is an American-style
respelling of something like "fasul", a southern Italian dialect equivalent
to Italian "fagioli",  beans.

Today, no mainstream restaurant or newspaper would call the dish "pasta
fazool," with its somewhat comic stereotypical overtones. The dish is
normally referred to as "pasta fagioli."

Steve Boatti