Query on the name "Martinez"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Oct 10 13:03:08 UTC 2001

>lope 'wolf' is close enough to Latin lupus, given the diversity of Iberian
>dialects (i.e., even though ModSp has lobo). But Mendel? I'm not arguing,
>there are plenty of Germanic names in Romance languages (Ricardo, Eduardo,
>Guillermo), but this one surprises me. And what's Gomo from?

It is claimed that Mendez/Menendez < Mendo < Visigothic "Ermengildo" or so.
It is also said that some (converted) Jews in Spain took the
already-existing name Mendez, derived or as if derived as a patronymic from
Mendel, in exact analogy to the Germanized name of the famous Mendelssohn
family.

"Gomo" might be Germanic (= "man", cognate with Latin "homo" or with the
"gam" in German "Brautigam" I guess). But some claim that it derives from
Arabic.

-- Doug Wilson