the old gray/grey mare, She ain't what she used to be

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Oct 11 02:10:06 UTC 2001

        According to this web site, the old gray mare was a specific
Thoroughbred (which wouldn't have been my guess):

http://www.ecr.net/gallifry/stbsongs.htm

Scroll down to get to the discussion of Lady Suffolk, who was foaled on Long
Island (New York State) in 1833 and died in 1853.  Some other web sites also
refer to Lady Suffolk as the original old gray mare, without discussion.

John Baker