Capri shorts (1954)

Mary Ozee ozee1 at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 11 22:16:55 UTC 2001

I haven’t a clue who you are!
-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Barry Popik
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 4:07 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Capri shorts (1954)

   AOL won't let me sign on "at this time," so I'm using Hotmail...My
(Wednesday) trip to Texas is five cities in six days.  I looked at a map
of Texas and discovered that it's a big state...The "photo caption of
woman in 'Capri pants'" description in the previous post was my comment,
but here's another cite.
   From the NEW YORK TIMES, 4 May 1954, pg. 32, col. 1:

_PUCCI CAREER DUE_
  _TO LUCKY CHANCE_
--------------------
_Style Photographer's Look at_
   _Ski Suit Started Italian in_
   _Business as Designer_

   Sometimes a surprising variety of talents goes into the making of a
fashion designer.
   A typical example is Emilio Pucci, prominent Italian couture
sportswear designer, who is credited with having influenced the entire
field with such creations as his brief Capri shorts.  Signor Pucci, who
recently was in this country, resembles the hero of a romantic novel.
(...)

  _____