New York Times upside down

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 12 05:23:03 UTC 2001

At 12:53 PM -0400 10/12/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>NEW YORK TIMES UPSIDE DOWN
>
>    A section of Friday's (today's) New York Times is upside down.
>It's the Metro Section (D), which, if you turn it over, becomes
>SportsFriday (S).  Maybe the national paper is different.
>    Why did they do this?  Is there a term for it?

They've been doing it since Tuesday.  They explained it at least once
this week in terms of there being a maximum number of separate
sections allowed by the budget, which combined with the special
section on recovery they've been publishing since 9/11 has led to the
need to combine Sports with something (they chose Metro).  At first
they just subsumed (non-Monday) Sports within another section, but
they moved this week to the other (flip) mode, presumably because the
alternative was too much like the old days when the
(non-Sunday/Monday) Times didn't have a dedicated Sports Section.
Now it does, but only if you unfold it the right way.

Books have been published with this trait for awhile, including a
kids' (or young adult) book we have that tells a story from the boys'
perspective or the girls', depending on whether you flip it over.  (a
little like those optical-illusion cards that present a smiling vs.
frowning person, or an old lady vs. young girl, depending on whether
you flip it)  I don't know if there's a term for such books (flip
books?  or is that pre-empted by those book whose pages can be
riffled to simulate motion?), and I've never seen it in newspapers
before now.

larry