Hollywood mottoes; Heard with my eyes; Scofflaw

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 12 19:44:57 UTC 2001

HOLLYWOOD MOTTOES

   There's more Hollywood lingo, from the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 1 December 1952, pg. 21, col. 6:

   ...Hollywood hasn't changed.  Its mottoes are still Franklin Pierce Silversmith's "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" and "Every one to his own taste, as the old lady said when she kissed the cow."

("His" own taste?--ed.)

HEARD WITH MY OWN EYES

   From the NYHT, 5 December 1952, pg. 27, col. 4:

   As they say on Jacobs Beach, "I heard this with my own eyes!"

(Must be those new, distracting "bikinis"--ed.)

SCOFFLAW (continued)

   Originally, in 1924, an illegal drinker.  OED has 1956 for traffic.  It's in quotes in the headline and the article.
   From the NYHT, 5 December 1952, pg. 25, col. 3:

_"Scofflaws" Pay_
_$10,074 in Day_
_In Traffic Fines_