Afghan Kebab House (2680 Broadway & 102 Street)

Sat Oct 13 14:56:04 UTC 2001

On Saturday, October 13, 2001, at 03:41 , Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    After a hard day's work at Columbia University, take a
> ten-minute walk down Broadway to the Afghan Kebab House #5,
> 2680 Broadway, corner of 102nd Street, (212) 280-3500.
>    There's an "I Love NY More Than Ever" sign on the place.
>    The restaurant is not listed in Robert Sietsema's THE FOOD
> LOVER'S GUIDE TO THE BEST ETHNIC EATING IN NEW YORK CITY
> (2001).  Only one restaurant is described in detail under
> "Afghani."  (Is "Afghani" a slur?)

I've eaten from there many times, particularly when I lived on
106th Street. Used to have it ordered in. What happened to the
goat? It all says "lamb" now but where's the goat? I think the
place has changed hands a couple of times: they were trying to
be an Afghan burger joint for a while. Goat, goat, goat. I blame
that place, at whatever iteration, for what has been a
persistent desire in my life for goat-based food during the last
two years. On a big cushion of baked-crunchy rice, a bit of
baklava following. Must... have... now...

The lamb chops are good, too. Thick ridges of succulent fat
around the edges, that pungent lamb smell, delivered in 20
minutes for pretty cheap...

--

Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org