LIFO (last in, first out) (1953)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 14 22:24:29 UTC 2001

   The LIFO ("life-o") guy died.
   It's an accounting system; it's also used in computing.  OED's entries do not mention the guy.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 19 May 1953, pg. 28, col. 7:

H. I. Kleinhaus Dies:_
_Devised "Lifo" Inventory_
   Herman I. Kleinhaus, fifty-nine, head of the firm H. I. Kleinhaus Associates, management-consultants at 41 E. 42d St., died Sunday at Lenox Hill Hospital after a long ilness.  He lived at 861 First Ave.
   Mr. Kleinhaus was a recognized authority on merchandizing for more than two decades and the author of many books on the subject.  He originated the "Last in, first out" method of inventory as applied to retailing, commonly called "Lifo," and established the new system of departmental analysis in store accounting employed by the National Retail Dry Goods (Col. 8--ed.) Association.  He also inaugurated the annual departmental merchandising and operating results issued by the Controller' Congress of the N. R. D. G. A.
(...)
   _Wrote Business Manuals_
   He edited the "Yearbook of Retailing" between 1935 and 1943.  He was author of "Retail Inventory Method," published in 1935, and "Small Store Accounting Manual," issued in 1938.  He was also associated with Prof. Malcom McNair, of Harvard, in the preparation of "The Retail Inventory Method of Lifo."
(...)