sharp shocked corndogs

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 15 01:18:37 UTC 2001

At 4:44 AM -0400 10/15/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>SHOCKING!
>
>    Obviously, from the movie CASABLANCA.  I'm shocked that there's gambling
>here!
>    The editorial cartoon in the NYHT, 28 February 1953, pg. 8, cols. 3-5,
>shows the underworld going in and out of City Hall.  The Mayor says: "I'm
>SHOCKED by the state's rejection of our fiscal program."
>    The caption is:
>
>Things Are Pretty Shocking All Around, Mr. Mayor!

I've usually seen the line cited as "[I'm ]shocked!  shocked!..."
retaining the doubling from Claude Rains's original (immortal)
delivery.

>(Corndogs are native to California?  Mariani states the food comes from
>Texas--ed.)

Don't know about the origin, but there are probably a lot of
easterners like me who first discovered them in California (on the
Santa Monica pier in my case).

larry