Origin of "jazz"--Hickman is unreliable

Baker, John JBaker at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Oct 16 01:22:53 UTC 2001

        Well, you've seen the source materials, and I haven't.  But consider
the following:

        1.      In the first instance, a 1919 account seems more likely to
be reliable than a 1938 account, particularly when the author of the 1938
article is eager to emphasize his own role in the popularity of a word so
important that it became the name of an era.  Hickman, in contrast, had no
obvious motivation to make up an essentially neutral story.  Gleeson's
account would have made Hickman's point just as effectively.

        2.      If the term's subsequent popularity and association with
music came from Hickman's orchestra, it seems more likely that they learned
the term from the Seals than from the Bulletin.  Other things being equal,
it seems more likely that the Seals would adopt an internally generated term
than one essentially coined by a sports writer.  Admittedly, the Seals
probably read the sports pages.

        3.      If we do accept Hickman's story and discount Gleeson's, that
does not necessarily mean that "jazz" really was coined on the spot at Boyes
Springs.  "Jazz" could have been a term already in common use among the
Seals, and Hickman simply heard it the first time there.  We're sent back to
jasm/jism, jaser, or the crap-shooting incantation as a source.

        Far from compelling evidence, but enough to make me regard Gleeson's
story with suspicion.  If Hickman's story is correct, then Gleeson's role is
far smaller:  Although he was the first to use "jazz" in print (but he
didn't know that for sure), he didn't coin the word or its baseball meaning
and he had little to do with its popularization.

John Baker