9/11

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 16 21:42:14 UTC 2001

Has anyone else noted the usage of '9/11' (spoken as 'nine-eleven') as a
shorthand reference to the events of 11 Sept, and how it echoes '911', the
emergency number? It seems to be one of those little obvious things, but it
should at least be mentioned.

In future years, I don't think it will still be called this, but have not
picked up anything a la "Pearl Harbor Day" yet. I suspect it will follow the
'sinking of the Lusitania' model, something like 'World Trade Center
Attack'.

I've heard people refer to the phone number as nine-eleven; I say
nine-one-one.