Bye Bye Texan-ese (1962)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 18 15:35:05 UTC 2001

   Greetings from Denton, Texas, and the campus of TWU.
   I went to the Dallas Public Library yesterday.  I checked out the Dallas Evening Journal.  "Uncle Jake Sez" appears to have started in October 1915, ended that month, then began again in April 1916 for the baseball season.  I read 1915, the start of 1916 and the end of 1916 without once seeing "jazz" in any form.

BYE
BYE
TEXAN-ESE
by L. E. Guillot
39 pages
Dallas, Texas (published by author)
1962

   "New York minute" is unfortunately not here, but much else is.  Ask me for any detailed explanations.

Pg. 1:  Hungier than a woodpecker with a headache; Makin' tracks far apart; Sidewinder; Dangerous as a hound dog behind a meat counter, Bad spell; Cadillacking; I felt like I was rode hard and put away wet; Don't make no never mind; Passel; The old woman; Mam; Varmint; Too thick to drink and too thin to plow

Pg. 2:  Lay for; Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while; Brush; Hoot n' anny; Suck eggs; I swanee; Least; Misery; Low life; Hoosegow; Fix his wagon

Pg. 3: CLean his plow; Hog wild; CLean as a picked chicken; Riled; Poke stock; Powder puff; Old nester; Pass the buck; Good people; Bits; Flick team; Of an evening; Bug hunting; Rat cheer

Pg. 4:  Pidgeon; Noisy as a hog eatin charcoal; Poor as Job's turkey; Don't know if it's a hunch or a gas pain; Over yonder; There's more than meets the eye; Josh; Out of pocket; Tight as Dick's hatband; Back forty acres; Dream book; Felt like Ned in the first reader

Pg. 5:  Correct Texas pronunciations; Purty; Fly off on one wing; Quit the road; Rigor; CLicked like a set of two-dollar teeth; As fast as greased lightning; SIttin' tall in the saddle; Runs like a crippled cow

Pg. 6:  Duck on a June bug; Run up a stump; Savvy; Hombre; Lily livered; Fixin; My heart bleeds; Hotter than a two-dollar pistol; Liars bench; Black waxie

Pg. 7:  Blood letting; Pole cat; Smidgin; Frazzlin; Possom trot; He doesn't know come on from sic um; Carry; Just dandy--just like peppermint candy

Pg. 8:  Passed; Back the hearse up; Slaunch-wise; Calf-rope; Up town or down town; Poundin' leather; Cute as a speckled pup; Feel like death warmed-over; Degrees of sickness in Texas

Pg. 9:  Come a cropper; Act ugly; Take to the tall timbers; Sowbelly and cornpone; Bust suds; Cold as a wart on a well digger's nose; Root, hog or die; Lit out a shuck; Done went; Texas Delicacies (Hush Puppies, Grits, Fat-back, Black Strap, Mountain oysters, Okra, Salt pork); Whole bunch

Pg. 10:  Can't catch a sheep on the run; Hitch in your "get along"; Texas wedge; Javelina; Grinning like a possum eatin' glue; Navel deep on a six-foot Indian; Seen the elephant and heard the owl; Money, marbles or chalk; Pill roller; Boot; Too wet to plow; Persuader

Pg. 11:  Trifling; Heifer; Tee ninety; Chilern; Running into the wind with a funnel in his mouth; Monkey-ward; Git; Forty 'leven dozen; Badlands; Head nigger; Bad medicine; To batch

Pg. 12:  Golly whopper; Cut the deck deeper; Manana; A plow horse; To ruffle one's feathers; Shank of the afternoon; Carramba!; Plumb; Heart as big as a saddle basket; Muy barracho; Kit and caboodle; Talk turkey; Holler Calf rope; Hellin' around

Pg. 13:  Gaboon; Ace in the hole; Makin's; Cabbage on to; Hiked up; Let the tail go with the hide; Breaking the traces; Buzzard bait; Ain't got the sense enough to come in out of the rain; Hell on wheels; I'm gonna do it, if it harelips every Chinaman in Cass County

Pg. 14:  Petered out; Son-of-a-gun-stew; Could eat her with a spoon; Yonder; Coyotes; Rarin' to go; Overflow of the flux on the flem; Jawing; Both ends against the middle; Surprised as a pup with his first porcupine; Put one's foot down; Look-see

Pg. 15:  All my born days; Reach for a blanket instead of a sheet; Bugalee; A one-eyed man in the game; Hurah; Rinktums; Like a hog loves slop; Throw in with you; Like a hog in the mud; Cockeyed; Busy as a one-armed paperhanger; Blood kin; Broke as the ten commandments; Catty corner

Pg. 16:  Between a rock and a hard place; Tough as putting sox on a rooster; Chaparral; Tissy; Cedar brakes; Johnny-come-lately; High-tail; Indian sign; Horn-in; Having her hooks out; Day labor; Pitch; Calico queen

Pg. 17:  Hanger flying; Couldn't teach a settin hen to cluck; Bed down; Belly up; Bit the dust; Hig-tie; Hasta la vista; Hair of the dog; Gun wadding; Guest of honor at a stringing-up party; Gone to Texas; To get a rise out of; Fraid hole

Pg. 18:  Folks on his mother's side wore moccasins; Peaches 'n cream; Bat out of hell; Bone orchard; Buck fever; Sight for sore eyes; Go to bed with the chickens; The lick log; Fair off a bit; Two-fers; Widder woman; Poole d doo or pulley doo

Pg. 19:  Pacucho; Rig; The laws; Lock horns; Tap; We've howdied but we ain't shook; May God sit on your pillow; Pea patch; Deep six; Correct Texas pronunciations

Pg. 20:  Parts of Texas; Shaky caboose; Give the squeaking wheel the grease; Turn-a-loose; Turned him every which way but loose; "Fust dahk"; Loco; Leave it be; This will whipple your crispit; Mash; Get with it

Pg. 21:  Out like Lottie's eye; Just as soon too as eat a bug; Houseparty; Horney toad; Window light; Sit on a well; Hornswaggle; Bayou; Grannying; Prize; Bottoms; Pallet

Pg. 22:  Garden; Tank; Outfit; Muley cow; Riding herd; Hole up; Sullen as a mule in a mud hole; To put out for; From can to caint (kan to kant); Furstrated as a mule at a crowded trough; Shade tree mechanic--Similar to a curbstone lawyer.  Sorta poorboying it.; Brush popping cowboy; Smart-aleck cigaretts; Fiesty

Pg. 23:  Zern; Walking loose; Salamander; To have the gratefuls; A wall eyed liar; A rosum-jawed man; Anything that will go around the devil's back will buckle under his belly; Let a sleeping dog lie; A South Texas loop; Goat ropin; Tourist trout; Snitch; Layout

Pg. 24:  Little Dumplin; Plike; Vince Evers; Root the peg; Pocket trash; Shinney on your own side; Dress burn; Pearl diver; Turned out to pasture; Raised on prunes and proverbs; Alcalde; Hair gets curly; Jack 'em up; Two fingers

Pg. 25:  Hunkey dory; Stir up a bed of roses; Blowin and goin; The stookers are hemmed up; Hot as a depot stove; Precious little; Blown clean out of the tub; Heavy handed; Empty handed; Larapin; Auntie; Uncle; Hope a steer hooks me

Pg. 26:  Shade glasses; Run that by again; Howdy; Tote; Narry; Whittlin; You ain't jes whistling Dixie; Stob; Search me

Pg. 27:  Doings; Pitch forks & nigger babies; Money in the bank and cattle out west; Working for nothing and boarding yourself; Horse apple; Eighter from Decatur; Spit a boley; Shore; Toe sack; You all come back

Pg. 28:  Chi-car-go--Biggest town in Ill-a-noise; Painter's cholic; Rather have him for a partner than a saw mill; Straight up six o'clock; Cup towel; Shagging; Hold over your plate; Who' robbin this train?; Sho nuff; Nutty as a fruitcake; Sody water!

Pg. 29:  Reckon; Axe handles; Quien sabe; Blowed-up suckers; That ole dog won't hunt; Old Billy Ned; Powerful proud; Goat ranch; Some deck is shy a joker; Thinking cap

Pg. 30:  Santone; Pipe down; Sunday school picnic; Yankee go home; Chicken hearted; Sorry; Sour apples; Pronto; Adios

Pg. 31:  Beaucoup; Po white trash; Haven't a corporal's guard; Yo creo que-hell yes; Third foot; Tump over; To have a good notion; We're poor folks, but we'll treat you clever; Tain't much for looks, but it's sure hell for sturd; Tail over the dashboard

Pg. 32:  Norther (Blue Norther, the worse kind); Stand offish; Preacher-man; Rosn'ear; Boarding house reach; Greasers; Singing all day and eatin on the ground; Studin (Studying); Tee man martunis; Fat; Jus lak down town; Plenty much, jam up, okay

Pg. 33:  Agin; Rub it in; Wide awake as a tree full of owls; Snake oil; Let's go to the wagon; Tote double and kick up; Tain't non of me; Runnin mate; Roustabout; Lick his wieght in wildcats; Hardshell Baptist

Pg. 34:  Wiggle stick; Don't knit your brow at me; All that sort of rot; Que Paso; Coon's age; Knee high to a duck; Sweet talk; Hang one on her; Pure dee; People stayed away in droves; In high cotton; Rabbit ran across my grave; Give you a pretty; Squealling like a pig under a gate

Pg. 35:  Can't catch a pig in a ditch; Tide over; He would gripe if he was going to be hung with a new rope; While the gate's still open; His pocket dipped sand; Kinely; Do you good and hep you too; Poor folks got poor ways; Baptist tea; Put to bed with a pick and shovel; Got to; Can't see through muddy water

Pg. 36:  Chautauqua; Good honk; Pull in your horns; Toe coming out for grass; Recollect; Nigger dollar; Rowdy; Salute; Quitague; Dad gum; Fiddle; Can't get all your squirrels up one tree

Pg. 37:  He needs to have his come-uppance; Whomp; Smart; Sunday go to meeting clothes; License to steal; Yes, siree-bob; Seven ways from Sunday; Thicket; Left-handed Irishman; Human blotter; Nigger in the woodpile; Egg money; Row crop; Fair to middling

Pg. 38:  Crop laid by; Stays; Blinky; Light bread; Learn; Pecker wood; Death-bed Catholic; Give me some scrowge; Peanut operator; Too lazy to hollar sow-ee; Bet your bottom dollar; Make you slap your grandma; Well, I'll let you go now; Riled up; Reachin' out and gettin' it; Chunk floater & toad strangler

Pg. 39:  Hookin' 'em up; Airish; Tight shoe day; Hell bent for Texas; Wash your head; Youuuu bet!; Really coming on; Higher than a kite; Slicker'n a whistle; Lay in stores; Dern tootin'; Shot gun house; Deader'n a door nail; Squel like a stuck pig; Same ole six and seven; Fine as frog hair--Cut four-ways; He bored with a deep auger; Tell the truth and shun the bad man